Soap up for St. Patrick's Day! Come have some fun and learn everything you need to know to create beautiful and functional soaps. This soap making class will be a hands-on learning experience where you get to safely handle lye (sodium hydroxide), work with food grade oils and butters, plus your choice of herbs, colorants, clays, essential oils and phthalate free fragrances.
In this class you will:
* learn safe handling of lye (sodium hydroxide) and actually mix lye with water for your soap
* learn about saponification values of different oils and butters (and just what the heck is saponification anyway...)
* learn about the attributes different oils will give to your soap
* mix the oils and lye, colorants, additives, fragrance (or essential) oils, and pour your raw soap into your molds (with assistance if needed). You will unmold and cut your soap at home.
The class includes a handout which goes into more detail regarding oils and calculating proper amounts of lye for different recipes. The handout also has several fun recipes that will fit into the same molds you work with in class.
* Our molds are reusable plastic kitchen containers. They should last for a couple of soap making sessions. You can also upgrade and purchase one of our wooden soap molds at the class which will last for many years, and which come with instructions on how to line with freezer paper. We use wooden molds (made by the same craftsman) in our regular soap production at the shop. Molds are $30.
This class is a fun and creative experience - and you get something real to take home!
Take Home: 3 pounds of soap - that's 9-12 full size bars of handcrafted soap for you! Plus a handout on soap making which includes recipes and helpful information so that you can make more at home.
Length: 2.5 - 3 hours depending on class size. This class starts at 2:00 pm sharp, please arrive a little early so we can start on time.
Age Range: All Ages, 13 years old and above, but kids with supervision, and we leave it to you to gauge what their attention span is. We will be working with lye in this class and you'll need to watch over your young'uns.
Save on multiple classes! Sign up for multiple classes or sign up a group and use our discount codes. Yes, your discount code works for the Make and Take day!
- 10% off for three classes - enter code: 3Classes
- 12% off for six classes - enter code: 6Classes
- 15% off for twelve classes - enter code: 12Classes