Classic Oatmeal, Milk, and Honey soap. A perennial favorite with fluffy lather, light exfoliation, and and amazing smell. It seems simple, but it can be tricky. Both the milk and the honey can heat a soap up and make it volcano out of your mold! Come learn some tips and tricks in this hands-on class to make your own perfect OMH! You can pick from goats milk or buttermilk, and use some Florida orange blossom honey.
This soap making class will be a hands-on learning experience where you get to safely handle lye (sodium hydroxide), work with food grade oils and butters, plus your choice of herbs, colorants, clays, essential oils and phthalate free fragrances.
In this class you will:
* learn safe handling of lye (sodium hydroxide) and actually mix lye with your chosen liquid (we'll show you the way we do it that helps prevent lye volcanoes!)
* learn about saponification values of different oils and butters (and just what the heck is saponification anyway...)
* learn about the attributes different oils will give to your soap
* mix the oils and lye, colorants, additives, fragrance (or essential) oils, and pour your raw soap into your molds (with assistance if needed). You will unmold and cut your soap at home.
The class includes a handout which goes into more detail regarding oils and calculating proper amounts of lye for different recipes. The handout also has several fun recipes with different milks that will fit into the same molds you work with in class.
* Our molds are reusable plastic kitchen containers. They should last for a couple of soap making sessions. You can also upgrade and purchase one of our wooden soap molds at the class which will last for many years, and which comes with instructions on how to line with freezer paper. We use wooden molds (made by the same craftsman) in our regular soap production at the shop. Molds are $30. ** If you've previously purchased one of our molds, bring it with you to use again!
This class is a fun and creative experience - and you get something real to take home!
Take Home: 3 pounds of soap - that's 9-12 full size bars of handcrafted soap for you! Plus a handout on soap making which includes recipes and helpful information so that you can make more at home.
Length: 2.5 - 3 hours depending on class size. This class starts at 6:30 pm sharp, please arrive a little early so we can start on time. You are welcome to bring your choice of beverage - we have plenty of shelves to set it away from the work area!
Age Range: All Ages, 13 years old and above, but kids with supervision, and we leave it to you to gauge what their attention span is. We will be working with lye in this class and you'll need to watch over your young'uns.
Save on multiple classes! Sign up for multiple classes or sign up a group and use our discount codes. Yes, your discount code works for the Make and Take day!
- 10% off for three classes - enter code: 3Classes
- 12% off for six classes - enter code: 6Classes
- 15% off for twelve classes - enter code: 12Classes