This soap is ready for prime time! No, really, it's all dolled up and ready for a close up. Four fantastic colors swirled in a unique design using a coated wire hanger. Your friends and family will never believe YOU made it!
You will get hands-on learning experience handling lye, mixing soap batter, coloring the soap with four different colors, and then layering and swirling the soap. You will be able to choose your colors and scent with phthalate free fragrance oils.
In this class you will:
* learn safe handling of lye (sodium hydroxide) and actually mix lye with your chosen liquid (we'll show you the way we do it that helps prevent lye volcanoes!)
* learn about saponification values of different oils and butters (and just what the heck is saponification anyway...)
* learn about the attributes different oils will give to your soap
* mix the oils and lye, colorants, additives, fragrance (or essential) oils, and pour your raw soap into your molds (with assistance if needed). You will unmold and cut your soap at home.
The class includes a handout which goes into more detail regarding oils and calculating proper amounts of lye for different recipes. The handout also has a recipe for a slow-moving soap and a few hanger patterns that will make different kinds of swirling patterns.
* The molds we use in this class are our "two pound" wooden soap molds. Since the soap needs to set up before cutting, you can use our mold and leave it at the shop at least 24 hours before coming back and picking it up (you can even use our soap cutter!) Or, you can upgrade and purchase one of our wooden soap molds and take your soap home that night. The wooden molds will will last for many years, and comes with instructions on how to line with freezer paper. We use wooden molds (made by the same craftsman) in our regular soap production at the shop. Molds are $30. ** If you've previously purchased one of our molds, bring it with you to use again!
This class is a fun and creative experience - and you get something real to take home!
Take Home: 3 pounds of soap - that's 9-12 full size bars of handcrafted soap for you! Plus a handout on soap making which includes recipes and helpful information so that you can make more at home.
Length: 2.5 - 3 hours depending on class size. This class starts at 6:30 pm sharp, please arrive a little early so we can start on time. You are welcome to bring your choice of beverage - we have plenty of shelves to set it away from the work area!
Age Range: All Ages, 13 years old and above, but kids with supervision, and we leave it to you to gauge what their attention span is. We will be working with lye in this class and you'll need to watch over your young'uns.
Save on multiple classes! Sign up for multiple classes or sign up a group and use our discount codes. Yes, your discount code works for the Make and Take day!
- 10% off for three classes - enter code: 3Classes
- 12% off for six classes - enter code: 6Classes
- 15% off for twelve classes - enter code: 12Classes